|About to enjoy some Sunday Chicken Chili!|
For my wedding shower, my hosts had each attendee give me a recipe in a card. I got some terrific new recipes, and that is part of the reason I've spent more time in the kitchen in the past year than I had in every prior year combined :)
One of my favorites was a white chicken chili recipe from my Mom's friend Mary. I experimented with the recipe - adding and changing until I felt I had it just right for my tastes. It's a favorite at our house on dreary winter days and lazy Sundays. Makes terrific leftovers as well!
It's legitimately easy to whip up and I don't feel too guilty when I overindulge - per serving, it's decently low-fat and you can incorporate plenty of veggies.
What you'll need:
- 2 or 3 chicken breasts, thawed
- Brown rice - I use 1 Trader Joe's Organic Brown Rice in the microwave-able packet.
- 1 16 oz. jar of salsa
- 1 bag of shredded low-fat cheese of your choice. I use reduced fat cheddar.
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- Other veggies you might like, such as chopped tomatoes or onions. I also sometimes add a cup of chicken broth for a little extra flavor.
|The first set of ingredients in the crock pot.|
|All the ingredients simmering in the crock pot.|
|Enjoying some hearty chili on the couch!|