Thursday, April 26, 2012

Books for Everyone!

Proof of Heaven by Mary Curran Hackett; Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis; Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner; White Oleander by Janet Fitch

I love reading. Let me just say that.

I love talking about books and sharing them. I basically read anything I can get my hands on, however I have a tendency to enjoy a certain type of material - that being deep, sometimes sorrowful, epic novels. The kind you can really sink your teeth into for a week at a time.

That being said, everyone enjoys different types of reading material and I have a huge collection of several types of books. Here are a few of my recommendations based on what you might be looking for.

For the sappy, motherly, or nostalgic: Proof of Heaven by Mary Curran Hackett
This is a great book about a mother's struggle with her son's terminal illness. Simply and movingly written, it's an easy read that helps you maintain perspective on what's important in life. An ultimately hopeful message, based on a true story, this book would make a great gift for someone that could use some inspiration.

For the trendy, classic, or "too cool": Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis
A classic book, not for the faint of heart. Think "Laguna Beach" on steroids. This book is about over-privileged LA teens experimenting with drugs, sex, and rebellion - in the essential absence of parents.  An interesting study on what can happen when people live in a fantasy world of limitless funds and no consequences.

For beach bums, light readers, or enjoyers of Chick Lit: Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner
I love any books by Jennifer Weiner as I think she really elevates the typical female beach-read genre. This is a great example of her work - utterly enjoyable, witty, and fun to read. Explores the most complex of friendships, both old and new. Will ring particularly true for those sets of friends who have drifted, and reconnected.

For the depressive person who likes to feel sad or "needs a good cry": White Oleander by Janet Fitch
Not that I consider myself a depressive person as mentioned above, but White Oleander is my all-time favorite book. A journey of tumult, struggle, and ultimately hope, it's impossible not to root for the main character as she bounces from foster home to foster home after her mother murders her latest lover. Legitimately harrowing in some parts, this book leaves you satisfied in a way that lighter fare cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment