Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Green Chile "Enchiladas"


I have enchiladas in quotes because these aren't made the traditional way - they are basically a "short cut" that use only a few ingredients. Super easy to make and great as leftovers, they are a much healthier alternative to traditional cheesy, creamy Mexican goodness!

You'll need:
3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I use organic)
6 or more tortillas (I use a whole wheat, low carb version)
Packet of ready-to-go brown rice (Trader Joes organic brown rice for me, as usual)
Half of a block of fat free cream cheese
Half a cup of chicken broth (I use low sodium, organic stock)
1 small can of green chiles
Optional: black beans, shredded cheese

Bake the chicken breasts in the oven for half an hour at 350 after seasoning them with salt, pepper, and garlic.

While the chicken breasts are cooking, simmer the cream cheese, chicken broth, and green chiles in a saucepan until all ingredients are melted and form a sauce texture. Once the sauce reaches a creamy consistency, set aside.

Once chicken is done baking, remove from the oven and shred. Cook the rice and mix the chicken and rice in a large bowl. Now would be the time to add the beans and the shredded cheese, if you're using.

Fill each of the tortillas with the chicken mixture and roll them. Place the rolls seam-side down side by side in a glass pan. Pour the green chile sauce over the entire pan. Sprinkle on some shredded cheese if you'd like (I didn't).

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. This looks very good and I cant wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these the other day and they have made my cooking routine. Super easy and very tasty!

    ReplyDelete