Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sunday Dinner - with all the trimmings!


Lately I've been having a very grown up urge to end the weekend with a hearty, balanced meal worthy of a family dinner table. It can be hard to feel creative enough or have the patience to whip up such a masterpiece at the end of a busy weekend, though.

I've made these items separately lately and I think combining them would lead to the perfect, no-fuss Sunday dinner!

On a side note, I'll be buying whole chickens to cook from now on. The whole chicken cost about $5. We had plenty of leftovers that Teddy was able to munch on over a few days while I traveled this week. Plus, I can make soup with scraps. Inexpensive, healthy, and easy!

Appetizer - Goat cheese and tomato skewers
Main - Baked whole chicken with veggie trimmings
Dessert - Mini Nutella cakes (fresh out of the oven with vanilla ice cream if you're feeling ambitious!)

Goat Cheese and Tomato Skewers

You'll Need:
Cherry Tomatoes
1 package of herbed goat cheese
Bread crumbs
Toothpicks

I can't take credit for this recipe as I know I saw it online somewhere. Sadly I don't remember where, as I'd be revisiting that site often for easy recipes like this one!

Simply scoop the goat cheese onto a spoon and roll into a ball using your hands. Next roll in the breadcrumbs and attach to a cherry tomato using a toothpick.


Whole Chicken with Zucchini

You'll Need:
Whole chicken, around 3 or 4 lbs, thawed
Half cup olive oil
Salt, pepper, garlic to taste
Veggies of your choice (I used zucchini)

I (mostly) followed these instructions.

Ensure the chicken is thawed completely through. Remove the insides (this was easy for me since it was just a little plastic baggie).

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pour some olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic into the bottom of a glass pan.

Rinse the chicken and dry with a paper towel, then set in the glass pan. Rub the chicken with the olive oil mixture from the pan.

Cook the chicken for about 60 minutes, keeping an eye on it and continuing to rub the entire chicken with the olive oil.

When there are about 20 minutes of cooking time left, cut up the zucchini and put in the pan with the chicken.

Remove from the oven and let everything sit for a few minutes before serving.

Mini Nutella Cakes

One of the easiest recipes for a treat I've ever used! One of my favorite things to make and share. Delicious warm, right out of the oven. There's also a lot of variations out on the web that can be found with a quick google search.

No comments:

Post a Comment